Roasted Pumpkin and Pine Nut Pasta Sauce
My other half would eat pasta with a tomato based sauce for dinner every other night, while I prefer a little more variety, so this is a compromise dish, pasta for him, vegie goodness for me. The soft sweetness of the roasted pumpkin and red pepper contrasts well with the saltiness of the prosciutto and the crunchy nuts, the spinach looks beautiful, and, you gotta eat your greens!
1 red capsicum
100g prosciutto, thinly sliced
30g pine nuts
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
6 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Peel the pumpkin and cut into 3-4cm rough dice, toss in olive oil and roast until well cooked and caramelised, approximately 40 minutes. Set aside.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper, put the prosciutto in a single layer on the paper and bake until crisp, approx 10 minutes. Crumble when cold. Set aside.
- Rub the red pepper with olive oil and roast until the skin blisters, or alternatively, char the pepper on the gas until the skin is black all over. Put the hot pepper in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic and allow to steam for 10 minutes, the skin will now slip off easily. Remove the skin and seeds, cut the flesh into 2cm squares. Set aside.
- Blanch the spinach, refresh under cold water, squeeze all the water from the leaves and roughly chop. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a small pan and sauté the garlic until it starts to brown. Add the pine nut to the pan and stirring continuously, roast the nuts until they are nicely browned. Set aside.
While your pasta is cooking:
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan, add the pumpkin and toss to heat. Add the red capsicum, then the spinach.
After the pasta has cooked:
Add the pasta to the pan and toss to combine, add the prosciutto and pine nuts, toss to combine then serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan cheese.