from one generation to the next
Baked pumpkin is my all time favourite vegetable. In Melbourne, the growers at the Farmers Markets currently have seasonal pumpkins and their close relation squash in a plethora of shapes, sizes and colours. The availability of the tiny single serve “Golden Nugget” pumpkins is limited to a few short weeks in autumn and this is my favourite way to serve them for a satisfying and economical meal.
STUFFED GOLDEN NUGGET PUMPKINS
2 Golden Nugget pumpkins
1 tablespoon of olive oil
½ red onion
1 small stick celery
1 small carrot
2 cloves of garlic
3 cm fresh root ginger
250g lean minced lamb
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground allspice
2 tomatoes chopped
1 cup stock
Heaped tablespoon short grained rice
1 tablespoon currants
1 tablespoon pine nuts
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup chopped coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 160C
2. Wash the pumpkins then cut the tops off low enough to allow you to scoop out the seeds. Spray the pumpkin with olive oil and bake 30 -40 minutes or until tender.
3. Finely dice the onion, carrot, and celery, then grate the garlic and ginger. Saute the vegetables in olive oil until translucent.
4. Increase the heatadd the lamb and brown well.
5. Add the spices, tomatoes and stock.
6. Bring to the boil then add the rice and currants. Simmer uncovered until the rice is cooked and the liquid absorbed. Add a little more water or stock if necessary.
7. Add the pine nuts, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
8. Spoon the stuffing into the pumpkin cavities and return to the oven for 20 minutes to reheat.
9. Serve topped with chopped coriander .